Don't let all the vanilla scare you away. These are excellent cookies. Very nutty and delicately sweet. A fine finish to a heavy or spicy meal. To add a unique taste substitute the vanilla with 1 tablespoon of gin. The original recipe stated that. I have never tried it.
- Preheat oven to 350° and cover 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, mix together chopped almonds, flour, baking powder and salt, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Mix in extracts Mix in flour mixture until well blended Beat until thoroughly combined.
- Form dough into 36 balls and place a whole almond in center of each ball.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown, check after 15 minutes as I found I needed to turn the temperature down for the second batch.
- Note: I baked my second batch at 325° but it could just be my oven that runs hot.