Prep 40 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a decadent chocolate cake. It is very, very rich. If you want to make a Mounds Cake, just leave the almonds off. Cook time is an estimate for the cake only.
- First Layer: Mix and bake cake according to directions.
- I would use a 13 x 9 pan.
- Second Layer: Combine 1 cup evaporated milk, 1 cup sugar, and 24 marshmallows in a saucepan and cook until all is melted.
- Take off heat and add coconut.
- Pour over warm cake.
- Third Layer: Bring to a boil the 1-1/2 cups sugar, and margarine.
- Remove from heat and add chocolate chips.
- Stir until melted and spoon over cake to ice it.
- Top with nuts.
This was truly a delicious cake! I had only one problem, I think the chocolate here(Belgium) has a different melting/solidifying texture compared to Hersheys or stateside chocolate, because the chocolate was almost rock hard until it sat at room temp for awhile, other than my chocolate probs it disappeared really fast!
WOW! I made this for my husband's birthday this weekend. Very rich and delicious! I had to laugh though...somehow I missed the part about the 9x13" pan...duh! So I made 2 9" rounds...thinking birthday cake...layers...Well, I ended up putting it in a glass bowl, and pouring the filling in between the layers, and then topped with the frosting. It looked a little odd, but it tasted great! You definately need a glass of milk with this little baby though...so make sure you have some on hand! Thanks for a great recipe!
Delicious! I've made a similar cake for my husband for his birthday the past three years and it is always a hit. The only changes I made were adding coconut to the cake batter, omitting a cup of the extra sugar in the chocolate chip topping, and sprinkling coconut and almonds on the top for the finish. Thank you!