1/1 Photo of 1 Hour Whole Wheat Bread or Your Kids Will Eat the Crust!
1 hr 15 mins
WI Cheesehead's Note:
This is the Bosch master recipe for freshly ground whole wheat bread. My kids never used to eat the crust. Now they do! :) I have done some experimenting with this to get a more firm loaf. I think I finally have it. So the recipe is adjusted, based on my tinkering. Minimum rising time included in prep time. The original recipe is from Phyllis Stanley, a Bosch consultant. She also recommends using saved potato water for the water and pureeing any leftover veggies as part of the water. Adds more nutrition and some taste. NOTE: If you don't use freshly ground flour, you will probably have to adjust the flour amounts.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups warm water (95-110 degrees)
- 1/2 cup oil or 1/2 cup applesauce
- 3/4 cup honey or 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (optional)
- 12 cups freshly ground whole wheat flour
- 1 cup flax seed meal
- 1 tablespoon salt (heaping)
- 3 tablespoons bread enhancer
- 3 tablespoons vital wheat gluten
- 3 tablespoons yeast
- 1Put ingredients in the Bosch bowl in order listed.
- 2Turn Bosch on and knead on speed 1 for a total of 8 minutes.
- 3Quickly add (after turning on) additional flour (1/2 C at a time) if needed for dough to pull away from side of the bowl, turning off Bosch each time you add flour.
- 4It should only pull initially half way up the side of the bowl, and during the 5 minutes, it will completely pull away.
- 5Turn oven on to 375° and oil your hands and counter well, spraying 4-5 loaf pans with cooking spray or oil.
- 6Divide the dough between the loaf pans and let rise for approximately 30 to 45 minutes. They will rise more in the oven.
- 7Turn oven down to 350° and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until golden brown.
- 8Remove from pans and let cool on cooling racks, covering with a tea towel, before cutting (if you can wait!).
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for 1 Hour Whole Wheat Bread or Your Kids Will Eat the Crust!
Serving Size: 1 (2932 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1830.5
- Calories from Fat 415
- Total Fat 46.2 g
- Saturated Fat 6.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1782.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 325.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 53.5 g
- Sugars 54.1 g
- Protein 58.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vital wheat gluten